Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Aida Musical

Just a week after the Potluck and Movie night, I attended the Aida Musical, put on by the OSU theater and CAPA. I had never seen Aida before and did not know the plot beyond "Egyptian love story." However, all things Egypt are right up my ally so I knew I would probably like the show. I was not disappointed. I knew this was going to be a good show when we got to the theater downtown. The opening and closing number tied the show together nicely, and I appreciated the framing technique. All the singers and actors were fantastic, but Aida really stole the show, her ability to sing and to portray emotion in her voice while speaking or singing was amazing. Amneris was also a wonderful singer, but what was really great about her role was her ability to add humor to situations, and also be very serious at the end of the musical. Radames, like the other two main characters, was a very strong singer and had a lot of personality. The costumes and sets were beautiful and really made the show. Overall it was a great show with quality production and actors. I will definitely go to more OSU theater productions.

2 comments:

  1. As Aida is one of my favorite musicals, I was very excited to attend this show. The costumes, sets and actors were amazing, but what I really loved was the combination of the dramatic portrayals with the choreography of the dance numbers. Bravo to both the theatre and dance departments for a wonderful performance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never seen Aida before, so when I found out that we had the opportunity to go I was pretty excited. I wasn't really sure what to expect. I had no idea what it was about, but I had heard that it was a good show. And the show was no let down. I really enjoyed going downtown to the theater. I also thought the show was really well done. I liked the costumes and the music a lot. My favorite part was the choreography. Overall, I had a great time and I thought it was a great performance.

    ReplyDelete