Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Mid Book Club Discussion

Last night a small group met in the Haverfield lobby and walked with Ben and Daniel to Kafe Kerouac to discuss Eat Pray Love. First of all, the cafe was fantastic! It reminded me a lot of The Donkey at OU, if you haven't been to either I highly recommend making the trip up High St or down to Athens to experience what a true coffee shop should be. Eclectic, slightly alternative with records and Dr. Who books on sale,serving lattes named after authors ( I enjoyed some Franz Kafka). I must admit, I'm over 2/3 through the book and don't really understand what all the hype is about. In my opinion, it must be wonderful to have a career as a writer where you have the freedom to take time off and explore the world, but this is not my reality, nor do I believe it is a possibilty for many people. Many excellent thoughts and concerns were shared inside the tiny cafe and I can't wait to finish the book and attend the final discussion.
        

5 comments:

  1. I went to the book club discussion as well. I very much enjoyed Kafe Kerouac, it had great coffee and the atmosphere was very nice. As for the book, I have just started the second part, where she goes to India, and I am enjoying the book a lot. I am really envious of her oppurtunity to put her life on hold and go to all these wonderful places. It is something that tons of people dream of doing but never get the chance to actually do. I found the discussion very insightful and everyone had great opinions. I can't wait to finish the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kafe Kerouac was such an awesomely eclectic atmosphere to host our mid book discussion this week. Although the discussion had its moments of sparsity, we generally had a very enjoyable and thought provoking discussion about what we did and didn't like about the book, and the ways that the book pulled so many people into it. We talked a lot about finding yourself and all the different ways that people can do that even when one doesn't have the means to travel the world for a year. The whole discussion was enlightening and interesting. I really enjoyed getting everyones views on the book and all of the different perspectives about the book and life. I can't wait for the final discussion and to find out what happens in the rest of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, agreed. I loved the Kafe. The music, the atmosphere, the pumpkin chai—definitely worth the walk. I wish I had gotten farther into the book before attending the discussion but nonetheless, I still enjoyed the talk and found it very interesting. The part that impacted me most was when Bethany talked about her sister's similar experience in quitting school a quarter away from graduation and traveling around the States for a few years until finally settling in Nashville as a massage therapist. Crazy. Reading about the author's experiences through a book makes her seem less relatable. Hearing a secondhand account from Bethany about her sister, who also went to OSU, redefined my presumption that only wealthy writers with flexible jobs could take time off and explore. It truly hit home cliche phrases I've heard time and time again: you make time for what you want to make time for and life is what you make it. Though we all say we want to take a year off and backpack through Europe, maybe we don't want it enough. Maybe if we did, we would be there now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kafe Kerouac is definitely my favorite near campus coffee spot, so I was very excited to find out that was where the book club meeting would be. The book hasnt really done much for me thus far, it kinda seems like a privileged authors ranting complaints. The discussion did help me see another level to the book however, which I really enjoyed. The best part of the discussion in my opinion was how everyone was able to relate different events in the book to events in their life. It is always extremely interesting to hear the experiences and thoughts of others in relation to a shared topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Kafe Kerouac. It was so nice to find a genuine coffee shop that didn't look like every other Starbucks. It was the perfect setting for a book club and I think that added to the conversation. Loud music was on, which made it hard to hear sometimes.....but they were playing my favorite artists, so I didn't really mind. The conversation was very good and it was so interesting to hear everyone's ideas and thoughts. I really enjoyed this section of the book and I had a really good time.

    ReplyDelete