Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Jane McGonigal
On November the 9th, Ms. Jane McGonigal provided an audience of OSU students with a different outlook on how video games are applicable to the real world. The topic sounded somewhat interesting, but after listening to her speech I felt as if I was being mesmerized by absolute ridiculous statistics and applications, not to mention the colorful adjectives. Her studies were very unique, and I for one would never have thought of applying such gaming activities to real life. I must give her credit for the distinct research that she has performed, but in no way do I feel as if the statistics she revealed to the audience actually relate to day-to-day life. The words she used to describe findings were loaded, such as "super-hero" qualities. Overall, Ms. McGonigal's presentation was unique, but didn't cross over into my credible interests.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I, as well, attended Jane McGonigal's speech on how video games supposedly correlate with several factors of real life. Though she was obviously passionate about the subject and provided the audience with several interesting examples, much of her information seemed rather far-fetched and I personally thought that many of her statistics sounded extraordinarily exaggerated. She seemed to go to great lengths to find a connection between the gaming world and the real world and, though there probably is some sort of relation, most will recognize that it is not nearly as prevalent as Ms. McGonigal suggests. Because of her excessive use of colorful words and imaginative phrases (such as when individuals are referred to as "gaming superheroes," or when we are told that one is supposedly able to feel as if he or she is "flying" while playing a game), this presentation, in my opinion, lost some credibility and realistic application.
ReplyDeleteThe speech may have been more effective had McGonigal been speaking in front of a younger, perhaps slightly more naive audience, rather than one of college students and adults.