Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Aron Ralston: Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I attended the Aron Ralston discussion and was overall very pleased. It was definitely very exciting to be able to hear the story from Ralston himself. I've never actually seen the movie 127 Hours starring James Franco but from what I saw of the previews it looked very interesting. To be able to hear his story first hand was definitely a unique experience and I'm glad I got to go. It is amazing to actually see live photos of the accident and it is even more amazing to listen to how Ralston survived. His story is very inspiring because it shows how the power of determination and the will to live can get you far in life. It is absolutely astonishing how Ralston's determination saved his life and how his will to live kept him alive for almost a week. One thing Ralston said that gave me chills was the description of the vision he had when he was at his lowest point. He said he saw a vision of a blonde hair, blue-eyed baby that called him Daddy, and all of a sudden he had even more determination to escape alive. What was amazing is that he now has a son, Leo, that has blonde hair and blue eyes. This fact just astonished me and I thought it was really amazing. Overall, I'm very glad I attended this discussion and am very glad I got to experience Ralston's story first hand.

1 comment:

  1. I also attended the Aron Ralston discussion and was absolutely blown away. I was assigned to cover the event as a reporter for The Lantern, and wasn't quite sure what to expect upon first arriving. After listening to Aron give the audience a first-hand recounting of his accident, seeing actual pictures he took while being trapped, and hearing his words of wisdom regarding strength, hope, and love, my outlook on how I face hardships in life definitely did a 180. Aron's great mental strength and love of life were obvious to anyone in the audience, and I think I can speak for many when I say that I definitely walked out of the Union that day very much inspired. I would love to purchase his book "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" to read further into his experience.

    ReplyDelete