Friday, April 22, 2011
Bellwether
On April Fools weekend a group of my friends and I went to the Union to partake in an evening of laughter. 8th Floor Improv and OUAB hosted "Bellwether" a large improv comedy festival with schools from all over the midwest. I ended up seeing about half of the acts during both Friday and Saturday as we left to eat dinner in the middle of both evenings. Most of the groups I saw were very funny, OSU's 8th Floor Improv were the one of the best- a surprise considering the last few times I've seen them I didn't think they were to great. Each evening ended with a professional improv troupe- they were both hilarious. I'm so glad I decided to go to Bellwether, I will most likely look for it next year for a weekend of laughs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I, too, loved the Bellwether Festival this year!! I have always been particularly fond of comedy, although I do find myself to be rather cynical of performances in general; it takes a lot to make me laugh and to impress me. That being said, I would highly recommend Bellwether to anyone who enjoys comedy....although not to anyone who enjoys off-color performances. The jokes that earned the most laughs were most certainly the crude ones.
ReplyDeleteAs I watched the groups perform their improv however, my cynical side did return. I kept pondering if their tropes were truly improv. How do they practice improv in the first place? And once they come across something truly funny, do they plan to secretly incorporate it into their next performance in case things aren't going so well? I, for one, wouldn't be surprised, but neither would I be upset if the material wasn't truly original. As an audience member, I appreciate forethought and the guarantee of a good laugh. It just makes you wonder if originality truly exists anymore...
I attended the Bellwether comedy festival on both nights and could not stop laughing! Some of the acts in Bellwether were truly hilarious. I went with friends and had a great time watching the acts as well as talking with the people who I attended with.
ReplyDelete