I had a really great time at the Chinese New Year culture show. Not being of Chinese descent, it was really eye opening and interesting to learn about Chinese culture. Not only so, but there was free Chinese food and entertaining acts that reminded me how talented OSU students can be. There were some memorable dancing and martial arts acts, but my favorite portion was the fashion show of traditional Chinese clothing. I've been learning about color theory in one of my design classes lately and we had discussed how colors can mean different things in different cultures. One of the examples was that red is the color worn by brides on wedding days in China instead of the white that is worn in our culture. Watching the fashion show, I noticed a lot of red either in the whole dress or used as an accent color. I was also intrigued by the fit of the dresses and how beauty was defined differently in that culture compared to my own.
The night was educational and most definitely enjoyable; I am glad I went.
When I went to the New Year Celebration it was a little like going back to China. Unfortunately I really couldn't stay long so I was more of a quick fly by. Still it was nice to see some of those things again.
ReplyDelete