Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Dinner and Dialogue (aka ULTIMATE Sex-Ed)
I relentlessly went to the Dinner and Dialogue Sexuality thing on February 8 and I can basically sum it up by saying it was the most detailed sex-ed class I have ever experienced. The speaker was super passionate about her topic which made being attentive an easy task; however, I was completely taken aback by how shamelessly she discussed every detail of "sex-drive." Although awkward, it was a lot more interesting than I was anticipating. I would actually consider taking one of her classes simply because she was so energetic. I'm not sure how game I am for Human Sexuality 101, but I guess all in good time. Overall, I am glad I went to the Dinner Dialogue- it was an "enlightening" experience nonetheless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Personally, I loved the talk about the Psychology of Sexuality. I found it refreshing that the professor was so forward with us. We are in college, we do know what sex is. I can relate this back to some of my first days here at Ohio State (a mere 5 months ago). I was shocked that speakers and presenters openly cussed and used socially deemed inappropriate words in front of us. And then it hit me. I'm not in high school anymore.
ReplyDeleteI feel that I am adjusting very well to a world in which I am treated as an equal, not an inferior. So bring on more sex talks, bring on more cuss words, and bring on more professors wearing chucks to class- I think I can handle it :)
The dinner and dialogue about the psychology of sexuality was truly thought provoking. I love how empowered Lisa Marie Cravens-Brown was, and her refusal to let words hurt her. I liked how she felt words are deemed "bad" and can hurt us, only when we give them the power to.
ReplyDeleteBeing a psych major, her class fulfilled some requirements, and also seemed really interesting, so I enrolled for Spring Quarter.
What I liked most about this dinner and dialogue was that the professor was so enthusiastic about the topic. As a psych major, it is important to me to have a professor that actually keeps me interested, and Lisa Cravens-Brown did just that. Although the topic might have been a bit awkward, we are college students and because of her wit and enthusiasm it was actually enjoyable. I am currently in a psych class in which the professor is not as enthusiastic about the topic and does not show extensive knowledge of the subject. This makes it very hard for me to stay focused in class. If I had Lisa Cravens-Brown as an instructor however, I would most likely be very interested and ready to participate not based on the subject but based on her enthusiasm. Overall, I'm very glad that I attended this dinner and dialogue.
ReplyDeleteLisa Cravens-Brown definitely brought a new and refreshing spin to what would have otherwise been a rather awkward and uncomfortable topic. As others have said- we are college students and are certainly aware of sex and the desires that are prevalent amongst individuals our age. Listening to a professor who didn't try to sugar-coat the topic or "preach down" to us made paying attention to the discussion interesting rather than intolerable, and overall I am glad that I attended the Dinner and Dialogue.
ReplyDeleteI found this Dinner and Dialogue really interesting. I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this. I was afraid it was going to be weird, awkward, uncomfortable etc. Surprisingly, professor Lisa Cravens-Brown did a great job talking about it. She talked about a different perspective of sex, one that is not heard often. I found the discussion really interesting. Overall, I am really glad that i attended this event.
ReplyDeleteI found the dinner and dialogue to be really interesting. I was afraid it would be really awkward but the enthusiasm that professor Lisa Cravens-Brown showed for the topic made it very interesting. I may even take the class that she teaches. Overall I enjoyed the event even though the pizza wasn't great but whatever.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this dinner and dialogue. Like a lot of other people, I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. I loved Lisa Cravens-Brown's attitude and energy. She was hilarious and talked about sex in a shameless (and educational) way. Especially in a society where sex is so taboo, it was refreshing for someone to be so open.
ReplyDeleteMaybe it was because I am a Psych major, but I absolutely loved the Sexuality Dinner and Dialogue. I have to be honest and say that it wasn't at all what I expected, but I'm glad that I went. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that most people went expecting it to be very awkward and more of a social event rather than a learning one. I am glad though that Lisa Cravens-Brown explained and talked about her topics with such enthusiasm that it was almost impossible to feel that social awkward rift. The hour went by so quickly that I wish we could just continue. I learned so many things about sex that I didn't already know! Overall I feel that if this was put into a classroom environment where the majority of the people present actually enjoyed the topic, then it would have been something to look forward to even more.
ReplyDelete