Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dinner and Dialogue: The Evolution of Vampires

I attended the dinner and dialogue about the evolution of vampires. I thought it was extremely interesting and a topic that is not discussed very often. I liked the fact that the professor running this dinner and dialogue focused more on monsters in general than just on vampires. I especially liked how he described why fictional monsters come about. The way he explained it was that these monsters reflect whatever society fears at that time. For example, the story of Frankenstein reflected the fact that society was afraid to welcome scientific knowledge and evidence. I also liked how he went into detail about vampires and the similarities and differences between older-known vampires such as Dracula and newer, more modern vampires like Edward Cullen. I thought it was a very insightful discussion and I am really glad I attended.

3 comments:

  1. I also attended the Dinner and Dialogue about the Evolution of Vampires, and overall I must say that I was not impressed. Though the topic was undeniably interesting, as vampires are creatures that have exploded into pop culture and their history is not something that is often discussed, the presentation was sub-par at best. The professor clearly had an understanding of the topic, but his hesitancy to encourage conversation and participation and his frequent second-guessing of his own research made him come across as awkward, unreliable, and simply nervous. I think that the dinner/dialogue could have been much more successful had a different professor been in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also attended the Dinner and Dialogue about the evolution of vampires. I found the topic very interesting, however I think the professor could have been more informative and gone a bit more in-depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This D&D was originally my idea, but I want to thank Ben and the other academic committee members for making it happen. I liked how he focused on different types of monsters and I found all of the discussion to be very enlightening. I agree, the professor was a bit anxious to speak at first, but I thought he got more into his element as the talk went on. I appreciate everyone's feedback about the event and I'm glad so many people came!

    ReplyDelete