Monday, November 7, 2011
Population Ethics Dinner and Dialogue
Going into this event, I thought it was going to focus on abortion and is it the best thing for certain people to have children. But I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when the talk was about how Philosophy applies to population ethics- given that the professor who spoke is the head of the Department of Philosophy. Nevertheless, I found the arguments he shared to be incredibly interesting. I especially enjoyed when he discussed the repugnant conclusion. In a nut shell: humans should not reproduce...doing so only brings bad into the world. I found it infuriating that all of the arguments leading up to this conclusion were sound in and of themselves, but that they only led to one solution: having children is bad. Repugnant is definitely the best word to describe the situation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment