Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Franklin County Dog Shelter

Earlier today, some fellow humanities scholars and myself went to the Franklin County Dog Shelter. We started off by unfolding newspapers for the dogs' kennels. It was easy enough and left my hands black with ink. Then we went inside the actual shelter and walked some dogs. A lot of the dogs couldn't go outside because they had recently had surgery, but the ones who could be walked were so excited to go. I walked 3 dogs, Harvey, a beagle, Maddie, a pit bull mix?, and Lance, a doberman mix. All three were very happy to have someone walk them and play with them. I thought they would be more upset to go back inside their kennels, but they all behaved well and got treats. I love volunteering with animals, and I hope more people can go next time. It's a very rewarding experience because the dogs don't care who you are or what you look like, they are just incredibly loving and grateful for any attention they get. I thought I should note that while I'm typing this post, my bloodhound Jack is snoring next to me on the couch. I think the next trip is on February 19th, hope to see everyone there!

1 comment:

  1. I happily joined my roommate Alexis on this adventure to walk the puppies a couple of weekends ago! I think that oftentimes when people think of volunteering they think of the environment and the homeless. But what about the animals? I am a HUGE dog lover and would feel absolutely lost without my best friend Gus (an 8lb Maltese). In fact, one of the hardest things about going to college this year was leaving him behind. It's still a little hard to fall asleep without feeling his tiny, warm body next to mine.

    Volunteering at the Franklin County Dog Shelter absolutely broke my heart. One look into those dogs' eyes and I melted. I wish that dogs were allowed in dorm rooms because there were about 7 dogs there that would be the latest residents of the Hav.

    ReplyDelete