Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Post Secret

The "O.S.U. Post Secret" event yesterday evening was a fun social event. There were only a hand-full of people present, notably all were female. Everyone was very friendly and it was nice to meet and chat with upper-class older humanities scholars. Various old magazines were provided for inspiration and artistic application, along with lots of markers, scissors, and glue. Coming up with a good "secret" (one that will anonymously be shared with thousands of fellow students while displayed on the oval) was harder than I had anticipated. Consequently and rather ironically, the buzz phrase in the room seemed to be "What's your secret?" (anyone else reminded of the popular deodorant commercial of several years ago?)

Im excited to see all the "Post Secret" cards on display in the spring.

2 comments:

  1. My roommates and I went to this tonight. Apparently they're holding one every month until May. It was really fun, we decorated our cards with pictures from magazines and markers. We even shared our secrets, which was a little bit awkward but it felt good to get it out in the open and let go. Post secret is both funny and heart-breaking and I'm excited to see everyone's secrets on the oval this spring! I hope more people go next time, there were only a few people there tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tagged along with Alexis and Bethany this evening to share with secret with the world (okay, only with OSU, but still, that's a lot of people). There were probably only about 6 people there during the entire hour that we were there, so I encourage everyone to go next time around! I was surprised at how nervous I was to write my secret down on paper. It was scary! I had spent all day trying to think of the perfect secret. Should it be funny? Should it be my deepest, darkest secret? In the end I chose to go with the one that is most prevalent right now, the one that bothers me on a day to day basis. After I wrote my secret down, my roommates and I all swapped postcards and shared with each other. We all gasped and laughed and it was obvious that everyone was nervous.

    It was a relief to share my secret though. I feel better because of it. I think that it brought my roommates and I closer it was a fun way to pass an otherwise boring Tuesday evening.

    ReplyDelete