Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Taste of OSU

Last night my room mates and I went to Taste of OSU. We were really excited to go and try a bunch of crazy foods, but once we got there it was so crowded that you couldn't even get from booth to booth, and unless you were standing right next to the stage, you couldn't see any of the cultural performances. There were far too many people in the ballroom at one time, and I just felt really claustrophobic the whole time I was there. Because it was so tight packed, I only had the chance the try one food sample before I gave up on it. In the future, I think they should open up more the union for this event, or limit to it Ohio State students only.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the food that I tried, but like Kristen, I felt that it was way too crowded. There wasnt enough room to tell what I was in line for until I got to the table and it made it less fun than it could have been. I think it's a great idea for an event but it would be easier if it was in a bigger room or spread out between two rooms instead of just one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was only able to stop by the Taste of OSU for roughly 20 minutes, and after walking through the door I don't know if I could've stayed longer. Just as Kristen, I felt like a sardine in the union. Also, like Natalie, I think the idea behind the taste of OSU if awesome. Just maybe in the future they could move the event to possibly a larger facility. Overall, I enjoyed my brief stay at the Taste of OSU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well. My friends and I were really excited for Taste of OSU and consequently disappointed. The ballroom was just too small of a venue for the vast amount of people who were there. I went hungry anticipating getting quite a bit of good food, but we also left earlier than planned because of the overwhelming crowd. I was also disappointed a lot of the desserts were sold out early, so it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was interesting, probably not worth the money. They reallyyy tried to give you as little as possible for a dollar...it's literally a taste. But interesting...I hadn't had Iranian food before that. They also had the Ukranian group with an interesting guitar/harp combination kind of instrument, which sounded pretty neat. Definitely proved how diverse OSU was, for once in my life I can say I was a minority in my immediate surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Taste of OSU with Kristen and needless to say, I thought it was utter chaos. I only bought 3 "sample tickets" or whatever they were called because I wasn't starving. It was difficult to decide what exactly I wanted to spend my tickets on, not because it all looked so delicious, but because I could not see past the huge crowd. I had no idea what was available so I ended up just wasting the tickets on an egg roll and some dessert thing. I think Taste of OSU is an awesome idea; however, I really think the coordinators should work on a new location or better organization at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Taste of OSU with an Honor's friend of mine. We were only there for a very brief time before we left for Ohayocon so we didn't get to sample much. I must say that it was kind of crazy and for a picky eater like myself it was hard to pick something that I thought I would like. Overall I probably didn't get the full experience because I was in a bit of a rush to get in and out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The place was definitely packed—unfortunately, a little too packed. But the food I tried was delicious and I loved seeing the different cultures identified and intermingling. Very cool.
    I really wish I could have seen the performances. I was there for 2-3 hours, but I was never close by when the performances were going on. I think I caught a glimpse of one... but then got pushed back by the wave of people. Still kind of sad I missed out on the Bollywood performance. I heard it was really awesome.
    Hopefully next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Taste of OSU featured multiple culture-related clubs serving dishes from their respective countries. Each dish cost one ticket (one dollar). One problem I had with the Taste of OSU was it was so crowded that sometimes you could not get to certain booths. However, I enjoyed this Italian pasta which was quite similar to spaghetti, but with different noodles and had more of a meat sauce than marinara.

    ReplyDelete