Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Grammar Smackdown!

All week, I was very excited to attend the Grammar Smackdown at this evening's Humanities Community Meeting. (And yes, now I am watching my grammar in this very post!) Allow me to set the scene:

-five or so teams of 4-5 people
-two rounds
-the first round consisted of correcting sentences
-the second round was a tad more brutal, involving running to the head table and grabbing questions, then dashing back to your team to find the errors on each card

I found the event to, overall, be a fun affair. I did find the title to be a little misleading, as spelling corrections were also a part of the competition.

5 comments:

  1. In concordance with Molly's previous entry, the Grammar Smackdown was a delightful combination of grammar and spelling errors that challenged the teams in both speed and accuracy. Ultimately, the team that was able to answer the questions fastest were awarded an extra five points, which inevitably led them to win.

    I found this experience to be exceptionally entertaining, particularly because that is exactly what I would like to go into in the professional world. As well, it was fun to work with other people to solve challenges at high speeds in order to achieve a final outcome.

    Go GRAMMAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was delightfully surprised to find out the grammar smackdown was during the last community meeting. I love grammar and also competitions. Even though we didn't take home the gold, it was a good time and I learned some new grammar terms.

    Comma Splice, Never Forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed the smackdown, as a Journalism major I was a bit embarrassed with the results of GuilloTeam, but we live to edit another day.
    I hope the Humanities Scholars will host a similar event next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I greatly enjoyed the grammar smackdown. It was funny to see all of the teams get really competitive during round 2 as people were racing to the front desk. I also thought this event reviewed common errors in grammar which was interesting to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite the fact that I originally planned not to attend the Grammar smackdown, I am very glad that I decided to go. It was so much fun! Even though my group didn't win, I felt accomplished that I could actually answer multiple questions and it became a small competition amongst groups. It just goes to show that even things considered boring like grammar can be fun!

    ReplyDelete