Thursday, May 5, 2011
Mary Poppins
I thought Mary Poppins was very good. The set was phenomenal, the actors were great and did a wonderful job singing, and the choreography was great. That being said I don't really enjoy the plot of Marry Poppins very much. I just never really understood it very much and was often confused. It really isn't one of my favorite movies. I did enjoy the experience though and the talk back with the actors afterwords was extremely interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love the movie Mary Poppins, so I was really excited to get to see the musical! I was a little disapointed at how different the musical was from the movie, but it was still a very good show. I enjoyed being able to interact with two of the cast members after the show. It was neat to hear about what goes on behind the scenes and what the lives of the cast members are like living on the road.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Mary Poppins, love the movie, and enjoyed the musical equally as well. I like the differences because it kept it from being exactly the same as the movie I'm so fondly familiar with. The costumes and special effects were pretty legit, and the talk back with the two actors afterwards was way more enlightening that I had anticipated. They did an excellent job answer everyones questions and it was cool to catch a glimpse into the life of a broadway performer.
ReplyDeleteCindy, as far as the plot goes I looooove it, totes the reason I like the movie/musical so much. I feel like the themes are really applicable and have spanned the test of time. For example the line when Jane and Michael go to the bank for the first time and the man gives them the coin and remarks on its value as oppose to its worth. Also how Mr.Banks contemplates the difference between a worthy man and a good idea. so good.
I agree with all previous comments. However, being the stingy Theatre goer that I am, I thought that there was certainly room for improvement. While the set design was absolutely phenomenal, I thought that their use of lighting design was poor: something that an amateur stage company would use.
ReplyDeleteThis was actually my first time ever going to see a musical. I've seen the movie Mary Poppins way too many times to count that I was almost sick of it. However, hearing all the songs again in a different kind of format made me fall in love all over again. I'm not an expert on theater, but I can agree that the actors did try their best, and Chase is right about their lack of decent lighting. Aside from the physical qualities of the stage, the story was definitely intriguing. I was almost tempted to read the book (since I havent before) and compare. There were aspects of the performance that made me feel like a kid again, and also an adult that can appreciate all the hard work that the cast put in.
ReplyDelete