Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Monday, October 11, 2010

English Conversation Partner

I must admit that I was fairly nervous when my roommate and I went to go meet our English Conversation Partners last Monday. I had no idea what to expect. I was hoping for someone who was a native of a Spanish speaking country (as I have studied Spanish for the past 5 years.) I thought it would make communicating a little easier. But when I walked into the room, I saw that every single conversation partner was of Asian descent. Wow. I knew that their presence on campus was strong, but I had no idea that there the program catered to the Asian community. Not that I'm complaining about my partner or this fact...I was just shocked that other nationalities weren't represented. That being said, I am looking forward to future meetings with my partner. Her name is Xinhui and she is here at Ohio State pursuing a masters of accounting. After our first meeting , it seems that we both have a lot in common. I think I'm going to learn A LOT about China and it's really going to open up my eyes to other cultures. Even though there are a lot of Asians on campus...I find myself realizing that I don't branch out to talk to people of other cultures that often. I guess birds of a feather really do flock together. I'm excited to break out and make a new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment