Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Monday, October 18, 2010

"Two In The Wave"

This recent Friday, I and a couple of my friends went to see a French documentary about the "New Wave" that occurred in France. The documentary was a sort of biography about the two most popular filmmakers in France during "La Nouvelle Vague," Francois Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard. Rather than showing a bunch of boring interviews, the film frames its backward looks with images of the actress, Isild Le Besco, looking through old magazine articles and visiting significant places in accordance with the story. The documentary starts from the beginning: how the two filmmakers first met, how they progressed throughout their lives through films, their interactions with each other and with the public, and even the conclusion of their professions within the "Nouvelle Vague." The film is narrated by a male voice actor and occasionally the actress, Isild. Although some may find reading subtitles and listening to French boring and a waste of time, hearing how a local Frenchman speaks the language while reading English subtitles is a very thrilling experience. I, personally, had an advantage, seeing as I have a limited amount of knowledge of French. Overall, the experience was very enjoyable. I learned about the past of another country's culture, as well as expanded my horizon with the French language. I suggest to anyone interested in foreign languages or just someone who enjoys foreign films to go to the Wexner Center and inquire about any additional foreign films they will be playing for the next couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment