Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gallery Hop

I know this is long overdue....but rather late than never, right? (Or something like that!)

So Gallery Hop wasn't anything like I expected it to be. First off, Short North looks EXACTLY like my hometown's downtown. (Lebanon, OH anyone?) Tons of antique and novelty stores. Unique family owned shoppes that you wouldn't be able to find anywhere else! (yeah right) I guess I was sort of underwhelmed by it all. I thought that something as famous as Gallery Hop would be a little more unique to Columbus. It turns out that it isn't really unique to anything.

It turned out to be a horrible night for gallery hopping anyway so my group and I didn't stay long; we weren't really partial to trudging up and down the streets in the rain and cold- to each his own. We ended up going to a member of our group's grandmother's house- who lives in Short North. I got more out of that than anything out of the Gallery Hop itself. This woman opened up her home to 3 complete strangers and made us all hot chocolate and brownies. Talk about feeling welcomed. I guess it just goes to show that in an area where I expected to find a snobbish, artsy population...I found home :)

1 comment:

  1. I thought the gallery hop was a lot of fun. I liked being able to freely explore. At first, I hit up all the galleries and looked at the artwork but very few of the art featured that night were really my taste so I settled in a coffee shop with some friends. The music in the shop was really eery (maybe because it was around Halloween? Or maybe it's like that all the time..) but the pumpkin chai was amazing and the shop was really cozy—a great escape from the cold rainy weather that night.

    Another cool experience was seeing one of my high school friend's photography on display at a hookah bar. I had no idea hookah bars would even display/sell artwork but she told me to come check it out so I did and it was really cool. Some of her photography had sold for $50. I'm not sure how she got involved with the gallery hop, but it's something I'd definitely be interested in doing.

    ReplyDelete