Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick-or-Treat for the Hungry

This past Thursday (October 28), I joined a group of Scholars that went to Hilliard to trick-or-treat for nonperishable food items for the Mid-Ohio Food Bank. My roommates and I had a great experience at this event. The people were very generous, and we filled the trunk of my Bug with cans for the food bank. Actually, when we unloaded and took all the food up to our room, it fit in a giant trash bag! The homeowners praised us for what we were doing, and thanked us by giving us candy. It was a great night and a lot of fun.

-Kierra Dye

7 comments:

  1. Yeah I had a lot of fun at treat the hungry. When we went to each door we got skeptical looks when the homeowners first opened the door because we looked so old, but once we told them what we were doing they were really receptive and welcoming to us. Most houses even gave us candy anyway! We ended up getting a lot of cans, and it was fun to experience trick-or-treating like we did when we were little, but rewarding to know that we were helping people less fortunate than ourselves. I think I will definitely do it again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trick or Treat for the Hungry was a great experience. I had a lot of fun with group one and I think we did a pretty awesome job collecting non perishable food items if I do say so myself. We go a lot of candy which was a definite plus to the cold temperatures and heavy cans. My group dressed up as Buckeye fans which I think was an excellent idea. People seemed more accepting of our cause because we had spirit attire on instead of a crazy costume. I think we should definitely do treat the hungry next year. I have a lot of great memories and candy because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also did treat the hungry with a different group and I loved it. It was great to give back in a way that was very enjoyable for me. Many people were very generous and friendly to us. And many gave us candy along with the can goods and other things we collected. It was a great time spent with friends and collecting food for those who truly need it. I would definately sign up again for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I participated in "Treat for the Hungry" as well with some of my friends from the Humanities Scholars group. Despite the rather chilly weather, I actually had a great time. The people whose houses we visited were actually very kind and generous, and my group was able to fill a huge garbage bag full of canned goods by the end of the night! All in all, it was a very rewarding experience, and I definitely plan on participating in "Treat for the Hungry" again next fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also participated in "Treat the Hungry" and had a great time. I think we ended up collecting a lot of food so that was great. Everyone was very nice and getting candy was a plus if I do say so myself. However, it was nice knowing that by going out for one night in a costume helped a lot of people. It was nice to help while oding something I enjoyed. I definietely plan on participating in this event every year, as long as I am able to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Treat the Hungry" was a great experience. It was fun and we got to do something great for the community. It was great how most of the people in the neighborhood were so receptive. There were only a few instances where people in the neighborhood were not helpful to us. And getting to dress up was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Treat the Hungry" was so much fun, and it was nice to know that in our trick-or-treating, we were doing something for a good cause. The weather was already a bit chilly, but that did not stop us from having a good time and meeting many nice and strange people. The houses and decorations were especially exciting. I hope to have this experience again next year!

    ReplyDelete