Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Catching Up.

I am very behind on these.

1. The Windy City.
As you all know, the first year students took their trip to Chicago in the beginning of November. I have never been there, and I would have absolutely no problem going back. I mean, I practically know my way around now. Not really. But it was great. I have an obsession with big cities. There is just so much to do. In two days, we saw a comedy show, heard a woman speak about scandals, went to Millennium Park, went up in the Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower, and will probably always be referred to as the Sears Tower), ate authentic Chicago pizza, and made new friends. I think that was one of the main purposes of the trip, and I'm glad I was a part of it.

2. Treat the Hungry.
The Thursday before Halloween, a group of Humanities Scholars ventured out into the semi-cold to find canned goods for the Mid-Ohio Food Bank. The way it was done was not your traditional canned food drive, though. We went door to door, and instead of getting candy, we asked for non-perishable food items. I had never heard of doing anything like this until I came here. It was an interesting experience, and people were very generous. Some houses gave us grocery bags full of items. I was slightly shocked at how willing people were to give away their food. I got to meet new people through this experience as well, which kind of makes me excited, because I came to Ohio State being able to count the people I know here on one hand.

3. Potluck and Movie Night.
This was probably the only experience in which I did not meet anyone new. I did, however, love the concept of everyone getting together andcontributing to the food we had. I was in many groups in high school, and none of them really did anything like this. Once a year, the band would get together in the gym and watch a movie, but we were not responsible for food. Plus, I had never seen Fight Club, and it was completely different than I thought it was going to be. I ended up liking it way more than I anticipated.

4. Aida.
Up until I got the program for Aida, I had no idea what it was about. I knew it was a musical, and that was pretty much the extent of my knowledge. I was told it was a rock musical, so I was expecting some 90’s street theme. I was a little taken off guard when I found out it was set in Africa, and I wasn't really sure how it was going to work out. I ended up liking the story, but the ending threw me off a little. It was a good ending, and it was different than your typical love story, and not what anyone was expecting. But there is just something about musicals that doesn't sit well with me. When songs start taking too long, I get antsy for the story to continue. I like a progressing storyline. I get bored when it stops on one thing for too long, and that happened to me a couple times during Aida.

5. ZOO!
On Friday, we went to the Columbus Zoo Wildlights. And I got to pet a baby goat. As sad as it may sound, it was the highlight of my night. I was very excited. I am an animal fanatic- you can even ask my roommates if you think it is necessary. The lights were nice, but I was way more interested in the small amount of animals the zoo had to see. I can’t even tell you my favorite, because I do not have one. I met someone new on the zoo trip, so I consider this is a good way to finish out my first quarter at Ohio State. in the small amount of animals the zoo had to see. I can’t even tell you my favorite, because I do not have one. I met someone new on the zoo trip, so I consider this is an excellent way to finish out my first quarter at Ohio State.

3 comments:

  1. On Friday, we went to the Columbus Zoo to see the zoo lights. It was great wandering around looking at all the pretty lights with my friends. The best animals were in the Australia road house. Although it was really cold, the zoo lights were a really fun evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday's trip to the Columbus Zoo was a great evening. My group was a lot of fun, although Ben Fortman made us go see all his favorite animals. However, aside from the cold, it was really great to walk around and see all the amazing light displays. My group even went on the carousel, it was an evening to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We saw all of the animals, not just my favorites! :-)

    ReplyDelete