Way back in October, I volunteered along with six other Humanities Scholars, at the Mid Ohio Foodbank. In around 2.5 hours, we were able to sort and box nearly 2,000 pounds of frozen meat that had been donated from grocery stores. The boxed meat would then be distributed to local food shelters. I have to say I was pretty impressed withe cleanliness and design of the Foodbank facility, as well as the Foodbank staff. The building is brand new, and LEED certified. The staff all had really great, positive attitudes, you could just tell they loved working at the Foodbank and helping others.
Urban Arts Space:
I have always really enjoyed visiting galleries, especially when they show the work of local artists. During our trip to the OSU Urban Arts Space in downtown Columbus, we were greeted with the instillation of the latest exhibition, "Hair Works." At first I completely frowned upon what I saw, in fact, I was a little repulsed by it--one of the pieces included a hair ball, three feet in diameter, with hair that had been collected from around the city. Another piece included a door mat, with "Welcome" spelled out in thick chunks of hair. One of the directors of the space later explained the artist wanted to communicate the idea that hair on the body is considered beautiful, but once it's no longer on the body, it's repulsive. After hearing this explanation, I was a little more at ease looking at the exhibit, but it was still pretty difficult.
Chicago:
Just like the other posts talk about Chicago, it was reallfun! My favorite part of the trip was the Second City performance. I was expecting a really big theatre, but was delighted to find the stage to be small and almost intimate. I had been a little uneasy about the idea of staying in a hostel, but it ended up being a really great experience. I never really realized there is an entire world of hostelling to explore!
No comments:
Post a Comment