Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

So much fun with Humanities!

Graduating in 2014

Chicago:
I love the Windy City!! Everything about this trip was amazing. First off, the hostel was so much better than I had envisioned a hostel to be. I imagined a run down, dirty, and smelly place however this place was spotless and better than some of the 3/4 star hotels I have been to in the past. Another awesome experience involved Second City. It was absolutely hysterical. It makes sense that some of these comedians started here and ended up on Saturday Night Live. The hilarious songs, variety of skits, and clever plot line, added to a great atmosphere and great night. All in all, this trip to Chicago was one of the better times I have gone. I'm so glad I became closer to the people who went and had a great experience in general.

First Year Retreat:
The retreat at Recreation Unlimited was also an awesome time. Learning about the different ways to communicate with people, i.e. verbal, body, etc., proved both helpful and informative. Although we left early and the weather was dismal and cold, we all managed to huddle close and grow closer, similar to the college trip. In fact, I liked Recreation Unlimited so much that I am planning on applying to work there over the summer!

Colin Beavan:
Colin Beavan's book was one of my least favorite reads. Although his ideas and his way of following his beliefs are nothing short of admirable, I could not stand his writing style. His condescending tone was similar to nails on a chalkboard! The book definitely had its strengths though. One particular strength I found was Colin's intimate details about his family life and how their relationships changed. I found that part to be particularly interesting.

Flag Football:
Flag Football was unfortunately a bust. I was thrilled to be a part of the team, I love football and team sports, however, we could never get enough people to show up. I went for the second game and only 4 of us showed up, so unfortunately we had to forfeit. Hopefully our other intramural teams will have better attendance so we can play!

No comments:

Post a Comment