Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Friday, December 3, 2010

My English Conversation Partner

Zhang, Zhang, Zhang. Though I had known you for only three quarters of an hour, I’ll always remember this day we met…

Well, it was a Friday, if my memory serves me correctly. I arrived at the front of Fischer College, saw no Zhang, and took a seat on the steps. I waited as ten minutes passed. I waited as twenty minutes passed. I even waited as this huge passing line of middle school kids began mocking me. Really, I didn’t mind waiting, but after about forty-five minutes he came and introduced himself as if he arrived right on time. I offered to take him out for lunch.

To teach English to a man six years older than me was quite amusing, but soon I was touched by his sincere eagerness to learn. I tried to explain that, back in high school, I had once taught an ESL student enough English to pass his English Ohio Graduation Test. “You’re lucky to have me,” I said jokingly, but seriously, too. He grew silent, and from the look on his face it seemed as if he was not gettin' what I was sayin’. After that short moment, he just reached in his pocket and gave me a small red box. Inside was a cute necklace.

So just like that, I never saw him after that day. He never showed up where we planned to meet (which is okay; like I said, I don’t mind waiting). I called him now and then, but every time he never answered. Once, it seemed like he did pick up, I could even hear his presence on the other end, but suddenly the call must have dropped. I redialed right away but then what I heard was something like “This line doesn’t exist...” or whatever. I don’t know. Life can be so mysterious.

I guess this necklace he gave me is the only thing I have to remember him by.

I wear it every day.

(This blog is long, and you should stop here, but I would like to mention another strange thing that happened later that day) I was relaxing in a hot tub while enjoying a smoothie, and this woman in her fifties sat next to me and mentioned what a good-looking boy I was (which I know is not the least bit true). She took my hand, examined my pinky knuckle, and told me that a lot of girls would be coming my way. I would break up with one when I’m 19, another when I’m 25. I don’t know how she was coming up with these numbers. She then turned my hand over to read my palm, and I saw that she had a concerned look on her face. “You’re very stubborn, and when you grow up you're gonna be bad with your money."

Eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment