Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Fall Quarter 2010 Humanities Blog

BP Dinner and Dialogue:
This Humanities Scholars event consisted of a professional expert discussing the effects of the BP oil spill which occurred earlier this year. Even though I was not able to attend the entire event, the portion that I did participate in was very interesting. The professor discussed the major damage and lack of clean up available to the spill. This enlightened me on the significance of government relations and the need for communication between large corporations such as BP and the United States government. Prior to this dinner and dialogue I was not informed of this environmental disaster. Overall, I found this to be very well detailed and an excellent presentation.

Humanities Potluck:
Fight Club and Cane's Chicken Fingers was a great way to celebrate the quarter. It was nice bonding experience with the Humanities Scholars. The movie was very thought provoking and offered a challenge to complete understand the meaning. I enjoyed discussing the movie afterwards with my floor mates back in Haverfield. I think that this was great way to bring together all ages and the Humanities Scholars and was a wonderful success!

Chicago:
This first year trip is close to the top of the best memories I have had so far this year. From traveling on the bus to figuring out the train, staying in the hostile, and exploring downtown Chicago, this trip really was excellent. My favorite memory of this trip was navigating the city on the second night. Two other Scholar's and I traveled through the city attempting to find a certain destination. Sadly, we never came upon the destination, but we were able to see the Chicago culture first hand. To me, being exposed to a new culture is what traveling is all about. It is an exciting way to learn about how other people live. Chicago is only six hours away from Columbus but everything is different from the entertainment to the people to the food. I loved being able to immerse myself in this city and I have taken a lot from this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment