Earlier in the quarter, I attended two similar events that not a lot of other people attended, so I thought I would combine them in one post.
Eating Disorder Awareness (April 27 Lazenby)
Eating disorders are still somewhat taboo subjects in our society but they effect a significant amount of students and really consume the students affected. Since it was the same time as the weekly meeting that week, I was a little hesitant to go but I went to learn especially because I have a friend that has struggled with anorexia and wanted to understand her experience better.
It was interesting to learn that anorexia is a life-long struggle for most people. Even after recovering and getting back to a healthy weight, most people struggle mentally and often fall back into old habits. I was really grateful for the opportunity to go because they also mentioned how helpful a support system could be to those with eating disorders. Because so much of the disorder stems from negative self-image, having friends that are accepting and encouraging can have an impact. Listening to the panel, I made mental notes to genuinely compliment her more often and to be watchful to make sure she doesn't binge eat and later hate herself for it.
An interesting subject I didn't expect to talk about was the way eating disorders effected males. According to the panel, there are a lot of males that fall into negative self image and eating disorders but are less likely to admit it. They said more males are probably effected today because stores like Abercrombie & Fitch have started making an ideal mold for guys pretty recently whereas molds for the ideal woman existed much earlier. Acknowledging guys struggle with self image and learning that overcoming an eating disorder doesn't mean the struggle is over, I realized the importance and need for kinder words and eyes.
Take Back the Night (April 28 Wexner)
The outside space at Wexner was lined with tables representing different organizations. I didn't get to stay for the entire event but I stopped by as they were setting up/starting out the night. My favorite part was the clothesline filled with hand-designd t-shirts. Each t-shirt was designed by a victim/survivor of oppression or abuse of some kind. Some of them were angry and some were solemn. Even though the angry ones were shocking to read at times, the honesty and freedom to be that honest was refreshing. These words had obviously been harbored and waiting to be vocalized for a long time. Some of the coolest ones were the t-shirts with messages of forgiveness and freedom from any previous burden/regrets. It was interesting to see all stages of emotions represented at once. It really captured the reality of what abuse victims/survivors go through.
Through these events, I was able to understand how desperately some voices are waiting to be heard and the importance and significance of awareness. I was really grateful for the change to learn and am hoping to get more involved in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment