Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Spring Quarter 2011

Unfortunately, I was not able to attend many events for the Humanities Scholars this quarter as I would have liked.

I did attend the Banned book club. I went in thinking that I would be able to participate, because, although I read the book a long time ago, I loved the book so talking about it would be no big deal. Yeah, I was wrong. There was a lot of interesting conversation and I was happy to be there listening to everyone's opinion and insight. I loved the guest speaker as well. She guided the whole discussion really well.

Anyway, the reason that I have not been that active in the humanities scholar this quarter is because I have been trying to help start a new organization on campus. The Latino Student Association.

The idea started in a Latino student retreat at the beginning of the quarter. Many experiences were shared and they all had the common theme: feeling left out in the Involvement Fair when everyone is looking for a Latino organization and not being able to find one in the sea of student organizations. The we were talking about how there were no student organization just for Latinos. There was a Puerto Rican Student Association, there was a Latino Fraternity, a Hispanic Student Business Association. But what about the student that are not interested in any of those categories? So we started planning to start the new organization.

The meetings for this potential new organization were every Wednesdays, conflicting with the Humanity Scholars Community Meetings. Many Latino students, who a lot of people have never even met, attended these meetings. As a part of the retreat group, we were so excited for the turn out.

Now, by the end of the quarter, we have gone far. We are officially declared as an official student organization and have elected the executive board and also any other people who are a part of the organization. Anyone and everyone is welcome to the meetings next quarter. Also, if anyone from another organization is interested in any collaboration with LSA feel free to contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment