Tuesday, March 8, 2011
The Kite Runner: Book Club and Movie Veiwing
Yesterday we had the final meeting for this quarter's book club. We discussed the second half of the book during the book discussion portion of the meeting. It was neat to compare the first half of the book, which focuses on the narrator's childhood, and the second part of the book, which tells about the narrator's return to his childhood home in Afghanistan. We were able to make many connections between events that occurred during each section of the book. It was really cool to see how the author used these comparisons as well as metaphors and other literary techniques, to tell the story and encourage us to read deeper. After the book discussion we watched a film version of the book. The film adaptation was good, but I have to say I liked the book better. I feel like the film left out several important details and events. However, I did think the film was well done and enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the banned book club next quarter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have to be honest. I just came for the movie and neither read the book nor came to the previous meeting. I arrived around 6:30, when I thought the movie was going to start, however, the discussion of the book just started a couple minutes after I arrived. So, I just listened to the discussion while I played a little Pokemon (again, being honest). I thought the movie was pretty good, however, I cannot compare it to the book because I have never read it. I liked when Baba (Amir's dad) and Rahim Khan were talking together about Baba and Amir's departure from Afghanistan, Baba said that "this country is not nice to invaders", or something like that. This is quite ironic because the Soviet Union's invasion of Afghanistan is their equivalence to our Vietnam War. Also, when I saw Rahim Khan, I could only thing of Yinsen from Iron Man (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0869467/).
ReplyDelete