Welcome to the Humanities Scholars Class of 2010 blog!
Please use this site to reflect on your experience and involvement in the Humanities around campus. Be sure to check back regularly to post new experiences, see what other students have written, and engage in discussion.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Winter 2011 Humanities involvement

I had a great time with the humanities scholars this winter quarter. Here are a couple of the great things we did.

Film festival: I really enjoyed viewing all the projects made this year. They were all very creative, informative, and funny. I do believe this project should continue in the future. It is a really fun way to explore different humanities themes. I also really enjoyed the video by Ben and Daniel. I never knew how much entertainment that could be derived from one snookie :)

Book club: For the book club this quarter, we read the Kite Runner. Though I did not have a chance to attend the final book discussion, I really enjoyed the mid book discussion. I think it is interesting the way the book explores the points of view of a culture so different than our own. I also believe it is a tragedy what happened to the little brother. Our book discussion went all the way up to the part where the family left for America.

Volunteering at Angora: I really enjoyed volunteering at Angora. Angora worked with young children in disadvantaged neighborhoods to give them a warm meal, fun games and activities, and a church service that these people might not ordinarily get to have. I believe it is a great thing that Angora is doing for the community and I really enjoyed being able to meet the little kids.

Film editing clinic: This event occurred in early February. Before going to this event, I had no idea how to use Windows Movie Maker- or even the fact that there was a Windows Movie Maker on my computer! Now I know how to add clips, shorten them, lengthen them, put captions on them, and many other ways to turn short film clips into movie productions.

Marti Gras Festival: At the Marti Gras Festival, there was a wide variety of tasty New Orleans style food. I really enjoyed eating all this food because the recipes were unique and like nothing I have tried before. I also really enjoyed hearing the speaker talk about the various historical aspects related to Marti Gras.

No comments:

Post a Comment