1. Inception.
I had never seen the movie before then, but I really really wanted to, and I'm super glad I did. I'm prone to liking anything with Leonardo DiCaprio in it, but I actually liked this movie. Everyone was telling me the first time I saw it, I would be so confused I wouldn't like it, but I was only lost for the first couple of minutes, then I started following what was going on. It was a really cool way to just hang out with other Humanites Scholars, without having to really do anything.
2. Dog Shelter.
This may very well have been my favorite volunteering experience ever. I love dogs. Period. End of story. There isn't really any other way to express it. So, naturally, I loved being able to just go and kind of hang out with a bunch of dogs for a couple hours. I got to meet some new people through this as well, which is always a good thing.
3. Mardi Gras Dinner and Dialogue.
My favorite part about this was probably the food. But the information was interesting too. I didn't realize how much I don't know about Mardi Gras until this night. I didn't know there were parades. I knew it was a big deal in New Orleans, but I guess I just kind of thought it was just one gigantic party. I never actually realized it was a cultural thing that they do.
4. McCarthyism and the Red Scare.
Honestly, going into this I had no idea what this was about. I had never heard of this before. Then once we got into it a little, it kind of surprised me. Who would have thought our country got so crazy that it was preventing people from acting because they may or may not have been communist? I didn't know that it got that far in depth.
5. Urban Arts Space.
This was my first trip to the Urban Arts Space, and I didn't really know what to expect. The first thing I saw was the Arts Scholars' exhibit, which kind of bewildered me, mostly because I am one of the least artistic people on the planet, and I am always surprised when I see someone my age doing something like the things that were on display. There was also some live art, I guess you could call it, with these dancers that was shockingly interesting and frightening at the same time.
6. Film Festival.
The entire film project was an interesting experience. While I didn't meet anyone through this, I saw four people who had never met, who lived just down the hall from each other for over 10 weeks sort of get to know each other. The festival itself was another experience. The movies introduced me to the personalities of some of the Humanities Scholars I have yet to get to know.
Sunday, March 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment